Bucks County, PA school district with an overall benefits budget in excess of $14M. 1,500 employees and 150 retirees. They have 2 unions and 4 bargaining units.
- Managing the overall cost of entire benefits package
- Making plan design changes to decrease costs with existing union contracts
- Communication and open enrollment for July renewal when teachers leave in May
- Conducted claims, utilization, network and plan design analysis looking for costly areas of the plan
- Negotiated with incumbent and competing insurance providers
- Audited COBRA administration process
- Developed custom benefits website with password protection for all employees to view their specific benefit options
- 2006 Renewal: $1.1M in savings
Carved out the Rx from the medical plan with no plan changes.
- Looked at dental contracts and found equal network with greater discounts.
- Found a more competitive Life and Disability carrier with no plan changes.
- Using union buy-in for a carrier change as leverage to negotiate a more favorable medical renewal. Savings: $300,000+
- Recovered $80,000 from COBRA vendor due to inconsistencies in billing.
We now handle their COBRA administration.
- Smoother open enrollment because the teachers were able to review their benefits information without having to attend enrollment meetings during the close of the school year.